Chemistry is one of the most fascinating subjects which is filled with numerous unusual trivia. It is the branch of science that deals with the substances of which matter is composed, their properties and different reactions that occur like combination reaction, redox reaction, combustion reaction, single and double displacement reaction, etc.
Some fun and interesting facts about chemistry are given in the points mentioned below.
- Copper is the only known metal that is antibacterial naturally.
- Copper and gold are the only two non-silvery metals.
- Unlike other substances, water expands when freezes.
- Glass is a liquid, it just flows very slowly.
- A pure element can take various forms. For example, graphite and diamond both are forms of pure carbon.
- Wasp stings are alkaline while bee stings are acidic.
- Like water, liquid air has a bluish tint.
- 1 inch of rain is equivalent to 10 inches of snow.
- Astatine is the rarest naturally occurring element in the Earth’s crust.
- Superfluid Helium defies gravity and climbs on walls.
- Oxygen gas is colorless, but the solid and liquid form of oxygen is blue in color.
- About 1% of the mass of the Sun is oxygen.
- ‘J’ is the only letter that does not occur in the periodic table.
- DNA is flame retardant which means that it can’t catch fire.
- The human body contains enough carbon to produce graphite for about 9 thousand pencils.
- The solid form of carbon dioxide is called as dry ice.
- Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical name of water.
- Bones, teeth, and pearls dissolve in vinegar as it contains weak acetic acid.
- Due to the presence of rust or iron oxide, the planet Mars looks red in color.
- Every hydrogen atom in a human body is about 13.5 billion years old, as they were created at the formation of the universe.
These were some interesting facts about Chemistry. Visit BYJU’S to learn about interesting topics like the periodic table, collision theory, etc. Subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube Channel to watch interactive video lessons on various chemistry topics.